Monday, March 10, 2008

unfinished business

Tonight I finished my newly started knitting project. Hooray. I should be happier, especially since I had a serious mishap and was forced to start over half way through. (To those who can drink and knit, I salute you... I do not share your skills... At least I confirmed that I can cast on without my mom around...) But instead of celebrating my victory, I find myself thinking about all the other unfinished business in my life. Including:
  1. I need to find a new cat sitter. Mine quit at Christmas time and I haven't replaced her since OC's been so fragile. I'm actually going out of town this weekend and could even take Erik with me, but I haven't bothered to find someone else I can trust with my house keys and my kitties. Lazy? Paranoid? Just in denial? Afraid to leave OC? A mix of all four, I suspect.
  2. I need to finish or discard the papier-mache penguin. He's been in my life for a decade now and he still has no eyeballs. I almost parted with him during the purge but the thoughts of dismantling him or tossing him away whole were both too disturbing to bear. Which means, I think, I should finish him.
  3. For that matter, I should paint the papier-mache cat. I could never finish it before because I started it for Wendy. Now that I traded her for a nifty purple scarf, I feel I can finally paint him black (like my lost cats) instead of white (like hers).
  4. And I really need to finish the papier-mache Zoe doll I started when she was two. Yeah, that was nearly 14 years ago. I am ready to let go of all the overly ambitious animatronics I had had planned, but I really need to at least assemble the limbs.
  5. Beyond arts and crafts, I need to send a follow up email to my former TA. I sent him a package by snail mail a few weeks back soliciting a letter of recommendation for law school. I failed to include any sort of reply postcard (it seemed very fourth grade at the time - Do you like me? __ Yes __ No __ Maybe) and I didn't request any sort of confirmation receipt from the post office. So now I obsess on whether he just doesn't want to write me a letter (no big deal since he hardly knew me at the time so the letter will be generic at best) or my package got caught up in his office's version of a spam filter. Why am I afraid to email, then? I guess cuz I hate asking for favors. And I hate even more being rejected. Still, this is a must do. Just for peace of mind.
  6. I also need to finish the laundry. As if laundry can ever really be finished. I feel so hypocritical, bitching as I did about my husband's jacket robbing me of my sense of completion. Everything is clean, and everything's dry. Only one load remains to be folded. But nothing at all is put away. Shameful.
  7. I need to download my elephant seal pictures so I can tell you all about Valet and Hangemhi. And, for that matter, I ought to follow up with vet staff to see how they are doing. They've been on my mind.
  8. I need to work on my Spanish. Beyond just watching my Spanish soap, that is. LiveMocha is very insistent that I am behind in my lessons (still afraid to do the speaking ones) and I know I could be making serious headway. One positive sign - I've begun to dream in Spanish. Or rather, I've had Spanish speakers making guest appearances. I have noticed, however, that in my dreams their Spanish is horrible. So again, I need to finish studying.
  9. I also need to burn my Rocket Spanish on to disk(s). I don't trust my hard drive. It hasn't been clicking for a while, but it is very tired. I would hate to have to download all those lessons again...
  10. I should also be working on my optional essays for law schools. Application season isn't until August, but how relaxing would it be to be entirely prepared?
  11. For that matter, I should figure out how to get a Dean's Certification from my Registrar. I know I'll need one for at least one application.
  12. I should order OC more Lactulose from the vet. It usually takes a few days to get it in and I don't know why I wait until I am nearly out to re-up. I think I secretly believe it is not a vital part of his therapy, but even if it isn't the key, I am too superstitious to change a thing. We're approaching six months here, people.
  13. I need to stretch. And walk. And floss. And eat more vegetables. And drink more water. And go to bed earlier. You know, I need to get on with the business of being a better me.
I'm sure there's more unfinished business in my life but my brain feels lighter now. At least now I have finished one thing. I finished blogging for today.

No comments: