Tuesday, March 11, 2008

a bit of good news

Seems like I am always bitching about something, so today I have for you good news:
  1. My niece, Sadie, was accepted to her first choice high school today. (Very competitive, great Ivy League placement, not far from home, looks like a ski lodge - they even serve free hot chocolate and allow their students to nap - we know cuz her sister Zoe already goes there...) Not only did they accept my dear Sadie, but she scored a generous scholarship, too. I was confident she'd get in all along, but it sure is nice to know I was right.
  2. Researchers saw one of my favorite harbor seals from last year, Luka, chilling out on the Farallon islands. They even got a picture and she looks happy, fat and sassy. We don't usually get confirmation that our rescues survive the season (the harbors are wearing numbered hats as part of a study - much easier to read than a flipper tag) so I'm soaking up the warm and fuzzy feeling of a job well done.
  3. I also knocked a few things off yesterday's to do list. I put away the laundry, emailed my TA, and caught up on some of my on line Spanish lessons.
I'm sure there are other great things going on in the world, but in my slothful corner of the universe, these are the things that made me smile today.

1 comment:

Merry ME said...

That's what is so neat about smiling. One size fits all and there are no rules for when or where or what to smile about. Good going with checking of those list items. It's inspiring. But I'm not quite sure if I'm inspired to make a list just so I can check things off, or to actually get things done. Hmmm... something to think about. Like how do seals feel about wearing hats? And what keeps them on when they go under water?