Monday, March 24, 2008

the agony of defeat

So, as my loyal reader(s) already noticed, I failed NaBloPoMo again yesterday. For real. No possibility of fudging the clock. I guess you could say I took a holiday - being Easter and all. The truth is, it was an unscheduled interruption. I failed to plan my day properly and my evening got a little more festive than I expected. I was enjoying a jolly little drunk dial from my brother and the drunk and the dialing got a bit too mutual. Next thing I knew, I woke up on the floor, lovingly cared for by my enabling husband. I'm glad he thinks I'm cute when I'm obnoxious. I'm pretty sure if I was married to me I'd be divorced.

Anyway, my memory is a bit foggy on all the details of our extended conversation, but here are the things I can recall:
  1. I'm pretty sure I successfully talked him into taking the LSAT in June. I told him I'd give him $500 if he can beat my score. I am banking on my mother's logic - that once I can get him to take the test his ego will drive him the rest of the way to law school. Evil, I know. See how I will be a good lawyer?
  2. I also learned that his friend / rival from high school / college is currently attending law school at my old alma mater (wonder if he beat my score?) - which makes him less likely to want to follow the same path, but whatever.
  3. And I learned that the Beatles once had a very disturbing album cover.
  4. I'm also pretty sure I agreed to fly up there in July to attend a concert - Elvis Costello opening for the Police. Now that I think about it, I'm remembering that I was designated as our designated driver. Fair enough. The way I feel today, I can imagine I still won't feel like drinking in July.
Anyway, today is traditionally the holiday I celebrate - buying up all the half priced Easter candy for my nieces - but I think they've finally grown too old (and paranoid about their gorgeous teenaged figures) to make it worth my while. I could continue the tradition for my niecelets, but that would involve postage (which eats up most of the $ saved) and, besides, it's really not a healthy practice. So good for me, I guess, though I feel sort of let down. Of course, that could be just the hangover.

No comments: