Friday, March 07, 2008

five things i did not buy on the internet

This morning I received another early phone call. I was afraid at first that it would be Monkey's friend again (who, I have noticed, was amongst my missed calls a couple days ago so I wonder if he is still receiving calls?) but then I heard the voice of my credit card company. They wanted to know if I had recently spent $1700 on D-Link.com. Indeed, I had not. Perhaps something about my purchasing history (involving mainly pet food stores and Wal-mart) clued them in to the fact that I am not very techie?

Anyway, you would think if the folks who are trying to steal my credit are techie enough to need $1700 of stuff on D-Link they would be techie enough not to get caught. On the other hand, Cecil Ericson, the guy who is trying to steal my brother's identity, also has a flaw in his system. He's apparently overweight (as he used Kevin's card to order Nutrisystem) and he may be disappointed to learn that his the food was recently delivered to Kevin's address.

Anyway, since March is all about the lists, today I list the five things I did not buy on the internet:
  1. This cat butt wallet that was in stock when I bookmarked it but is sadly out of stock now... I wasn't sure if I was getting it for myself or my sister (who always buys me fun wallets) so I hedged. Alas, I guess the internet has made the decision for me.
  2. A pepper mill that is taller and easier to fill than the two I currently own. I figure I will get one eventually, just not today. (I've had fantasies of drunkenly swiping one from a restaurant, but now that I've been shopping around I see the restaurant sized ones cost big bucks so I might get in some real trouble...)
  3. This bear shaped ottoman, though I am still seriously considering it. Erik lost his ottoman to OC's leakage many many moons ago (now OC enjoys it in the garden), and it way past time to replace it. There are many ottomans which are cheaper and / or more functional than a grizzly bear, but seriously, none are cuter. And he comes with free shipping...


















  4. An electric tandem bicycle on Craigslist. Erik and I have been considering a tandem bike for a while but due to our differing heights, it seems unlikely we'll ever enjoy a bicycle built for two. Anyway, I love how this listing tells you if you don't want to pedal then get a motorcycle...
  5. And, of course, $1700 of merchandise on D-Link.com.
Anyway, I guess in theory this list is endless. Since I bought nothing at all on the internet today, all things that are available should be listed. But who's got time for that?

As for now, I am wondering if I regret not buying Thai Boat for dinner this evening. Erik is claiming the window for ordering closed when the sun went down, but then I am very good about reminding him that he promised to fetch in his wedding vows.

No comments: