Thursday, March 06, 2008

things i can't, shouldn't, and might someday do

Today I am feeling a bit blue. Perhaps it is because my folks are gone (back to my regular life - no more Scrabble, no more eating out). Perhaps it is because I haven't had a good long walk in a couple days (need to keep those endorphins coming but once I lose momentum...). Perhaps it is because those darned kitties woke me up every two hours just like clockwork last night (but then what else is new?).

More likely I think I am feeling down because I received an unexpectedly high bill in the mail which, really, doesn't affect me so much as Erik anyway. And I know I should just be grateful that we have the money to pay since we just got our tax returns back. But I had already counted those taxes before they hatched so I am feeling like there's a big old hole in our get out of debt plan. Again. Which, ironically, makes me want to go out to eat.

In the spirit of feeling blue (esp. as I just discovered my usual favorite take out place is unexpectedly closed), today's lists are all about things I could do better, if at all...

Here's are things I can't do, but wish I could:
  1. hula hoop - I even bought a hoop recently (it's purple and it lights up) to encourage myself but if I couldn't do it when I was young, I'm not sure what makes me think I'll catch on now
  2. cartwheel - this is something I could do when I was young. Now I think I am off balance (too much lower body weight) and scared.
  3. yo yo - yeah, manual dexterity, not my thing
Things I do, but not well:
  1. sweep - it's always been challenging for me. Ever since my first job (McDonald's), I found that the physics of the broom escapes me.
  2. speak Spanish - though I have optimistically included Spanish on my law school resume, my "friends" on LiveMocha might advise me to exclude it. They recently gave my writing assignments 2 out of 5 stars. But I should have known better than to conjugate gustar so sloppily. At least my Spanish soaps are helping. Now if only I have the occasion to tell someone not to worry (no te preocupas) or express my disbelief (no puedo creer), I will be all set.
  3. knit - I am half way through my mystery project but as usual my stitch count has varied dramatically. Hooray for forgiving yarns. Will I ever be ready to knit something that has an actual pattern?
And things I plan on learning, if only in the most basic fashion:
  1. ballroom dancing - maybe just the salsa. And for the record, I thought ballroom dancing was groovy before Dancing with the Stars...
  2. bee keeping - if the rain continues, that is. Otherwise the honey guys won't need my help.
  3. American Sign Language - at least as much as I can pick up from the kid's show Signing Time.

No comments: