Thursday, March 27, 2008

houses i could buy

Today I discovered there are actually houses in my neighborhood that Erik and I could afford to buy. By us, of course I mean Erik, cuz I have no job. And by afford, I mean, we could pay twice what we are paying now. This would be a stretch even if we ditched my favorite distractions - cable television, our cell phones, the internets, Netflix, Thai Boat, take out of any sort...

Anyway, here is a list of my observations on the houses in our price range, in the order we saw them:
  1. Sold
  2. Built for hobbits, strange slanted room, no bathroom?, big yard
  3. Dump, deck collapsing, next to Coyote hill
  4. Orange, no carpet, cracked cement floor, good windows, decent yard, nice layout
  5. Tiny, built-in barking neighbor dogs, stained wood floors, disturbing light fixtures, broken window, nice jasmine plant
  6. Connecty, weird layout - even for a duplex, vacant lot next door, fence falling over
  7. Unsafe / condemned
We're going to look inside #4 tomorrow and we are actually sad to hear that #5 is already in escrow. #1 was the real blow. Erik had his eye on that house ages ago - before we were real grown ups who get a bank to loan us $300,000.

1 comment:

Merry ME said...

#2. Is it possible that Hobbits don't need a bathroom because they have the big yard?

The first grown up house Jim and I looked to buy cost $21,000. At the time we had sticker shock. Being grown up has gotten a lot more expensive.