Thursday, November 15, 2007

thank you, governator

Today Erik finally got his court ordered back pay for a raise that's been making its way through the legislature since April. It's a pretty significant bump and it wouldn't have been possible without the Governator's signature. Though I'm sure it was a rubber stamp sort of thing, today I am grateful for Arnie.

Even better, today the contractors finished installing the new stairs to our house. They even dismantled the steep and scary temporary steps. While I appreciate the safety features of the new entryway, mostly I'm excited that the construction might actually be over. Like soon. And I can have my deck back. And peace and quiet.

Best of all, today Erik took the day off to spend some extra time with me. We walked, we napped (okay, I napped, he tossed and turned - what can I say? I've got mad sleeping skills...), and soon we will watch movies and enjoy enchiladas... That is, if I ever start making them. I've been marinating the tofu for days trying to muster up the enthusiasm to actually cook it.

So again, I'll keep this brief. No lamenting about how the SF oil spill has finally found its way to my seals. No retelling of the funny story about Monkey's misstep into the toilet (the one where he turned unsuccessfully to the unfurling roll of toilet paper to save him...). No cursing the fact that I discovered an old friend will be in town for Christmas (when I am out of town). And no anxiety about my upcoming road trip.

Because today I have financial breathing room, impending privacy, and the pleasure of my husband's company. Hooray.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But when you're out of town 'round Christmas, you'll actually be in an old friend's town, and she can't wait to see you!

~wendy

ps: I wear the purple scarf you gave me everyday. I'm not exaggerating. Everyday. It's the best scarf ev-er!

Merry ME said...

I doubt it gets much better than a day like you describe - minus the marinated tofu!