Tuesday, November 13, 2007

midnight stroll

I realized I once again forgot my gratitude theme in Monday's entry. Well, it's pretty obvious I am grateful that I do not have to be a contestant on the Amazing Race.

But now I am grateful for something even more immediate. I am grateful that my little black Monkey did not wander too far out into the big black night after I foolishly forgot to close the kitchen window. Yup, my little man has seen the world and he likes it. This isn't the first time he's snuck out. It's just the first time he didn't have an adult in hot pursuit. I can't believe I forgot the window. We have this ritual - lock Monkey in one room, air out the rest of the house, close up the house, lock Monkey in the house, air out Monkey's room. It works like a charm. Except usually we do this in the daytime, when both of us are home. More brains for remembering windows and more eyes for keeping track of Monkey.

This time I did it sleepy and I left him unattended for at least 10 minutes while I showered, brushed my teeth, and got ready for bed. It took me a few more minutes to realize he was gone. It was too quiet. I looked for him under the bed. No sign. I was about to look for him in the couch (yes, in the couch, he climbs up and claws at my butt through the cushions). Then I saw the window. My heart stopped. I grabbed some shoes, cursing the fact that I never have a working flashlight.

He didn't come when I called but I heard him exploring. Or at least I thought I did. Turns out I was wrong cuz I actually found him on the opposite side of the yard, checking out this random tiny deck we have. He saw me and gave chase. I missed him as he passed by. He contemplated going under the house (I'd never get him there) but opted for going around the house instead. Then, miraculously, he came back around the corner and headed for the bushes. He always heads for the bushes. They're totally not thick enough to conceal him but I believe he may feel invisible just the same. He pauses there, front sticking out one side, butt sticking out the other, and then he gets caught. Thank goodness kittens are dumb.

Once inside he did a few laps around the living room and contemplated the trifecta. I even heard him crash full speed into the now closed window. He's calmer now, back in my lap like normal, but something's changed. Just a little. He's got more pride in his purr, more purpose in his stride. Really, I think we're both relieved his adventure is over. For now. But my little boy is growing up. And it's scary.

1 comment:

Refinnej said...

Hi there!

Just dropping by to let you know you've been randomly tagged for a meme, by a random NaBloPoMo'er.

Refinnej