Saturday, September 22, 2007

they're baaaack...

Finally took OC to consult with a surgeon yesterday. He had to fast the night before which meant nobody slept for long. But I was excited as it was the first time he's slept inside since Monkey arrived. (Granted, it wasn't his choice, but still...)

He came home from the surgeon with some serious "manscaping" (you know, shaving of the private parts) and a confirmation of my suspicions. His bilateral perineal hernias have returned. The one on the left is apparently worst. And even though surgeons love a challenge and appreciate a paycheck, the doctor isn't urging me to go the surgical route. In fact, he stressed that there's no guarantee it would work and the muscle he would need to close the hernias was used during his last surgery, so it may be tore up and worn out. He also might want to do it as two surgeries (one hernia at a time)... He is researching the possibilities, but in the meanwhile, my surgeon, like my regular vet, urges management through diet. I have yet to follow their advice to add fiber to his diet (he's a picky eater and I fear dehydration) but I guess I'm ready to now. Sounds like it's all I have left.

So I'm sad. But I'm pulling out my inner Polly Anna and pretending that we will find the magic diet or pay for the risky surgery - at least for the next 8 days. I have found that my practice LSAT scores suffer dramatically when I am weepy for my cats. It appears I have finally bounced back from the dip post Labor Day and even got my first perfect score Thursday morning. (Friday I was back down to my average, which wasn't bad for dealing with trapped cat complaints and working on no sleep.) I can't believe the real test is a week from today. I bought myself new pencils, a new pencil sharpener, and even a new shirt or two so I can be as psyched out as possible on game day. Speaking of, I guess I should get back to studying.

Oh, and my computer is having hibernation issues and also making scary clicking noises (slow this morning, fast last night, super loud just now... freaky enough to get the kitten off my lap...) I very much fear this could be the end for my trusty iMac. I wanted to wait and buy a new computer just before school, but hell, that's two years off... Since this machine is only about 4, my new machine could be obsolete by then. Still, I wonder if I should get a laptop and hope it lives to see the inside of a lecture hall or indulge and get a shiny new iMac? And I wonder if I will get the opportunity to copy everything I love onto disk before my computer's death? Perhaps I will take my iMac in for a surgical consult. What's another couple hundred bucks at this point?

Decisions, decisions... Debt, debt... Not mine to think of this morning. All I need to do is find the assumptions, justify the conclusion, identify the flaw, strengthen the argument, weaken the argument, select the topic at issue, and figure out what must be true... And, I guess, I ought to turn off my computer, hopefully not for the last time ever...

1 comment:

Merry ME said...

Jenni,
I love that you bought new pencils and new shirts in preparation for your test. I have a theory that I have been meaning to write about but have not found the time since I've been playing nurse.

I believe that whatever is in air that causes leaves to change color and fall of trees, starting at the beginning of Sept (of course this depends on where you live - there's an exception to every rule) is the same something that causes me to want to stock up on number 2 pencils, ruled notebook paper, Elmer's school glue, plaid jumpers and fisherman knit sweaters.

I suspect if the weather in Morro Bay is turning the least bit fallish, buying those pencils had more to do with back to school syndrome than preparing for the test. It was almost beyond your control.