Saturday, September 01, 2007

mom would be proud

So the other day I accidentally spread yogurt on my bagel instead of cream cheese. I immediately thought of my mother, who once mistook her conditioner for shampoo - for a whole week. I felt even more like my mother when I realized I had been suspicious of the especially runny cream cheese but didn't toss it out. My mom is all about keeping food past its prime. A quick survey of her kitchen will yield any number of culinary nightmares - moldy cheese, browning avocados, wilted lettuce, wrinkled tomatoes, sprouted potatoes... My mom is so into old food, in fact, that when I blamed some older eggs for a recent stomach illness, my mom defended the eggs. She explained that the eggs in her own fridge were significantly older and that my brother once ate an egg that was even a little green and he was still fine. This just made me want to vomit more. My dad's explanation, that the eggs would've made me sick sooner if they were the source of my malaise, was much more palatable and scientifically sound.

1 comment:

Merry ME said...

My mom used to buy a month's worth of milk at the commisary. To make it last she froze it - duh. The icky thing about frozen milk is that after it sits in the fridge defrosting all the little milk particles separate and no matter how much you shake it, they never go back together enough to make you think you are drinking whole milk and not skim milk with things in it. It is gross. But mom would look at, smell it and say, "Drink it, it's just fine." One time she even said this about milk that had very clearly turned the corner towards sour. The really gross thing is that in order to convince us she was right, she would take a swig of the stinky almost cheese. Moms ... you gotta love 'em!