Saturday, October 06, 2007

like watching paint dry

I was on call for all of 23 minutes before the phone rang with a rescue. I can't really complain. I haven't been on the beach in more than a month. I was a bit surprised, though, to be called out of bed, as this is only the fourth animal in as many weeks, and the first one after hours in a long while. It's the off season, after all. To think that just four short hours ago I was snuggled up with OC (who is just now returning to normal, though he appears to have a sore throat from all the intubations...) and now I am sitting at the seal site watching fluids slowly drip into a sea lion who is enjoying her chemically induced snooze. Anyway, there was no ignoring the call. The poor thing was seizing on the drive on beach an hour from my home. I couldn't roust anyone who lived closer, so she had to wait for me to get there. Luckily, our electric gate has finally been installed so I was able to swing by the site to get drugs. Previously it was way too creepy to go there alone after dark and wrestle with the heavy gate. Also I am grateful that the State Parks guy waited (on over time) with her, so she didn't become a speed bump and so that I would have help boxing her up.

So I don't have pictures yet, cuz it's dark and I didn't grab my camera anyway. I don't have a name yet, cuz the folks that issue the names are all sleeping. I decided not to even wake the vet tech to get orders for meds. I know the drill. I've stopped the seizures (and I was dead on with my weight estimate) and now I'm giving fluids. Really really slow fluids. If I had called for orders I'm nearly positive they would have spared me the fluids. Rescues after dark are generally followed with a dump and run. But I have a feeling if she is not dead by morning she will be way too up to subQ so I am doing it now.

In the meanwhile, I am feeling really guilty I haven't finished Yvette's birthday blog. It's been a week since I took the LSAT, a week since OC's been in the hospital, and have I done a darned thing? Mostly no. I am so glad she is too busy to read my blog, or she would notice how neglected a friend she really is. And now, with Erik's birthday only two days away, he's got to be my focus. At least sitting here watching the fluids drip is giving me a chance to update my blog, eh?

Anyway, it's still pretty creepy here alone at night. The fluids are almost done so I think I'm going to run. I locked OC in, so I'm hoping he'll be willing to resume the snuggling where we left off. More likely, he'll be annoyed from being trapped with Monkey for the last four hours and he'll want to go outside. I realize I'm the adult - not only that, I'm the biped with opposable thumbs - so I could still keep him trapped inside even if he's dying to go out, but really, I don't have the heart. Even though the dietary changes seem to be working, I'm not totally optimistic it will be sustainable so in the meanwhile I am trying to cater to his every whim. He's a cat, so his whims are pretty simple - in, out, eat, sleep. It's the least I can do.

Two weeks and two days until LSAT scores are posted. Did I mention that I hate waiting?

No comments: