Friday, July 04, 2008

finally finished

My fridge is full of goodies, my house is pretty clean, and my nails are freshly painted. I figured I'd take this, the calm before the storm, to make my obligatory post. Sadly, I'm more exhausted than inspired, but I guess I will start with the token nod to this month's theme - the food.

Yesterday I made:

Some scary looking sangria. Too much wine, too much fruit, regretting the addition of my secret ingredient, rose water. Also regretting not spending enough on a nice infusion jar as the cheap ass sun tea jar I have is literally bursting at the seams. Very scary especially considering it seems hubby has plans to transplant our party five miles north to his brother's house...

Only one batch of jello shots. Without the test run, I was reluctant to use the peach or berry blue flavors and stuck with black cherry and black cherry rum...

Chipolte corn muffins as well as a batch made just with mild green chilies. I have a feeling not everyone likes them hot and the mild ones seem to have turned out great.

Beet and carrot salad. Probly pretty bland and probly all looking like beets after a night together in the fridge, but fresh is good, right?

Peach cobbler. Forgot to bug Erik to fetch the cornstarch down from the high kitchen cabinet (grr - I hate when he rearranges my kitchen without my input... though I must admit there are always more improvements than obstacles...), so this cobbler's going to be pretty runny.

Peach and pineapple salsa. After buying a whole box of peaches at Farmer's Market, I found I still didn't have enough for the salsa so we had to wing it with the fruit that was in abundance. I think it will be a wonderful improvisation.

Is that all I made? Seems like so much more. Still have strawberries to prep and whipped cream to make - but those are usually Erik's tasks - and he's still got to grill the zucchini and corn today...

Anyway, now is when I have my party anxiety. Not sure what to wear - especially if I won't be at home in easy reach of my closet, bummed I won't likely be able to lock the kitties in for their own safety - the beauty of staying here is increased odds of encountering them, sad that I probly ought to drink my own sangria - maybe it is better this morning? Also, Erik's mom and aunt and second cousin are coming, which should work out just fine but definitely adds to the claustrophobia our house feels when filled with so much food and people.

Oh well. I'm sure it will all be fine and fun even, but right now all I want to do is go back to bed...

No comments: