Wednesday, December 12, 2007

happy birthday Bob & Chris

So most of the day passed before I realized it was actually December 12th. I know, what a luxury to have no idea what day it is. But all my bills are on auto pay and at least I knew it was Wednesday. That's the day Thai Boat is closed. Dammit.

Anyway, today is Bob Barker's birthday. Oh, Bob, I miss you so. Drew is okay, I guess, mocking the contestants and all, but still, he's no Bob. At least he knows that.

And, I learned just this year, today is Chris's birthday, my friend from high school. He's perhaps best remembered as our food critic, Won Ton John, though I like to remember him by his college fraternity nickname, Pledge Penis. Apparently he had to carry a dildo with him where ever he went. Oh, how glad am I that I never went Greek? Anyway, I sent him a few drunken emails (toasting to his honor, as is tradition) and am smiling now remembering good times long past...

And, of course, December 12th is the day we lost Erik's cousin, Kate, to a failed heart and lung transplant meant to combat her cystic fibrosis. Even though today is a sadiversary, I like any excuse to think of Kate. What a spitfire. It's really true that the good die young, though my siblings and I always hated how that sounded like an insult coming from my Dad (since we were, after all, still living and his favorite patients had passed...).

Anyhow, believe it or not, this week I got a little seal action. On Sunday I picked up Nobi. He was a regular Where's Waldo, hiding amongst the rocks. My crew was about to give up but then he moved and I spotted him. I told the callers that that is the hardest part (finding them), but as we carried him over countless rocks (one of my crew even fell down) I thought perhaps I had exaggerated... Again I have spared you the gory details, but he was shark bitten and then some. He's not on the current patient list so I'm thinking he's not still around. But with such a large wound, I'm okay with that.

On a happier note, yesterday I got to release a few fur seals and a sea lion. I didn't do much (just took pictures) but I had a grand time. This one is, I think, Farber, who took his sweet time making it down to the water. He wasn't as difficult as Rebelure (who was originally found in Tracey - very inland for those who are not familiar with the Bay Area). We finally let Rebelure back in his carrier just to carry him closer to shore, sparing him some of the confusion and much of the walk. He bolted the second sea water touched his fur, so I'm hoping he's okay. Anyway, it was a joy, reminding me that they don't all die...

And this week I completed a number of personal projects. 2007 is apparently the year of the personalized photo gift. Mostly I did a lot of hounding (needing other people's photos) and arranging and uploading. Sadly, this means I have done very little laundry folding or house cleaning. Poor Erik. I really don't know why he married me.

Oh, and yesterday? Yesterday I learned I am too poor to be this fat. I had finally broken down and resolved to resize my wedding ring (so I could enjoy it in the meanwhile and celebrate the sizing of it back down later...) only to find out that resizing platinum is, well, expensive. ("You don't ask how much it costs to tune up a Ferrari," says the jewelry store guy... Well, yeah, you do if you can't afford your Ferrari, I told him...) So now I have 205 new reasons to shed some weight.

Dammit.

Anyway, hooray for December 12th and for Bob and Chris and Kate. And for fur seals and sea lions and especially for pain meds. And for shiny diamonds on well loved pudgy fingers. For orange cats asleep in boxes and for scratched up faded photos.

I'm off now to work on the family Christmas letter, I guess. Mom hasn't set a due date, but I'm pretty sure I'm late. I leave in a week to go visit (brrr, cold) and I'd like to be done well before then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Clearly somewhere in the very distant past an intellectual cave man drew squiggles on a cave wall which eventually became numbers. Those in turn were placed in order by another cave (lets say) person to be politically correct and someone else determined that by adding zeros you could get to the power of 10 - quickly. Howvere, no suitable use could be made of numbers until; days were named, then numbers assigned to a series of days and viola - the calendar was created. Not a burden to understand why one number follows another. It's so clear 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - etc. Who the clever so and so was that worked out the seven day cycle may never be known for sure. Irrelevant to this discourse. Sandwiched between the 11th and the 13th is the 12th. A significant day in the life of many. A birthday, an anniversery (or a new term to me - sadiversery, I like that for it's truth and simplicity.) Not to diminish the importance of 12, but what about the 15th? Or the 20th? My point is that important events should not be labeled by assigning a number to it. How about? Wednesday, the day of many tides? Or Tuesday, the day no cleaning got done. (Well, wait that could be confusing if it happens too often, or to too many.) That Sunday in December when I _______________ you fill the blank. Maybe the confusion generated by such naming would come from so many different events for each day. The day in question might only have signifigance for the "namer." Dating things seems to be required in posting, correspondance, wills, etc. Being a non - conventional person I do believe that from now on I will abstain from dating anything. Today is Thursday, the day I made a comment on Anti Jen's blog, 2007. I like that. Excuse me now while I go trim my eye brows.