Thursday, February 01, 2007

i miss him already

He was my oldest and dearest friend. Couldn't be sweeter. Always there for me - in good times and bad. Every birthday, every study session, every broken heart. Of course he was at my wedding. You should see the pictures. We grew up together. From lollipops to mimosas, he was everywhere and everything. And our favorite holidays - Halloween and Easter - I can't think of a single one spent without him.

And yet it's over. At least for now. I guess you could say we're on a break. I need some time to think things over. Do I really love him or is he just a habit? Love is not supposed to hurt, after all, and, really, in many ways he's just dragging me down.

This doesn't have to be forever. I just need some space of my own, a chance to clear my head. I'll admit, it hasn't been easy. The first couple days, I mourned him. I was inconsolable, certain this break up would be a catastrophe. Ready to beg his forgiveness and take him back.

Now, a few days later, I feel stronger. More focused. I can see the insidious way he weaved himself into every aspect of my life. Frankly, I'm appalled. And finally, just possibly, I can imagine a future without him. Or at least without so much of him.

Still, I'm going to miss you, sugar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After a 15.5 hr shift I had to read this one a few times before I figured out who "he" was!! arrghh.. very clever.
Love, your brain dead sista